Thursday, August 18, 2016

Choosing to Master My Sin


Genesis 4:7
“If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.”


Recently, I quit smoking. It's the second time that I've tried to quit. The first time was in 2008.

The first time, I sucked on a lot of Dum Dum suckers and Jolly Ranchers and still ended up cheating some...only to start back on the eighth day. I just knew I was going to have to go through all of that again this time.

This time, however, I have not cheated once. I suck on a lot of breath mints, but the craving seems at least 10 times less intense than it was the first time.

I have 33 years of smoking under my belt. I wasn't expecting easy. It isn't easy. However, this time seems more tolerable than back then.

Someone said it's because this time I have God. That can't be true, because last time I had God, too. But, then again, last time I didn't have so many people praying for me.

Anyway, I know that it's either conquer the habit, or the habit will conquer me. A cigarette is within reach. I can get one right now if I want to. I have the means. But, although that cigarette is waiting just behind the door, I have had the strength to walk past it when I open the door to go outside.

It's a matter of will power and determination. And, knowing that it's all for God's glory helps, too. After all, He's the reason I chose to do this. He is the ONLY reason.



If this has inspired you, please share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment