Sunday, January 1, 2017

Empty Me...


With the new year comes a desire to make changes that will ultimately better our lives. The changes I wish to make in my life are dietary. I have decided to go on a "God Diet" in hopes of losing some weight (Like, about 100 lbs).

Another New Year's Resolution I made was to study God's Word more. That is easy. I just pick up where I left off while reading the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. I am in Nehemiah right now.

While reading the first chapter of Nehemiah, this verse jumped out at me:

Nehemiah 1:4
“And it came to pass, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned certain days, and fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven,”


This prompted me to do a search on fasting and study it more.

What the Bible Says about Fasting

I had been wondering about fasting as a part of my diet. What did this verse and my study tell me about Fasting?

1. Fasting is a way of clearing up the channel of communication between us and the Father.
2. Fasting should be used in times of distress or mourning or memorializing.
3. Fasting should only be done on a certain number of days. It is not a hunger strike. It is a cleansing technique.
4. Fasting should always be accompanied by prayer.

I hope this is useful to you as you study the Word of God and attempt to incorporate it into your life!




If this has inspired you, please share it!


No comments:

Post a Comment