Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Jesus Offers Shelter from the Rain

I had arrived at my place of employment about 45 minutes early; so, I opted to eat my taco salad that I had just bought in my car in the parking lot. It was a good 3-minute walk from my car to the door I would enter to go to work.

In the seat beside me was a Bible that I always keep in the car for emergencies. You never know when you will be called to witness. As today would prove, sometimes it's just the presence of the Word that does the witnessing.

My radio was playing Christian contemporary music from the K-Love music station. I was enjoying my food when the light drops of rain began coming.

As I sat there eating, waiting for the time to pass, I saw a young woman who had just approached my car and was walking past. She must have glanced inside and saw my Bible -- or, maybe she heard the music, or both. I heard her mumble, "Jesus Freak."

As I watched her walk on past the parking lot, I realized she was a pedestrian. It had started to rain. I started the car and drove up beside her and asked her, "Do you need a ride somewhere?"

She said, "No, thank you."

I couldn't help myself. I said, "Do you really want to tell Jesus you don't need Him?"

She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "I suppose you think you are Jesus?"

I explained to her that 1 Corinthians 12:27 says that we, as Christians are "the body of Christ", and that would make us available to Him as His hands and feet. When we do for people in need, we not only are doing what Jesus would do, but we are doing it FOR Him, quoting Matthew 25:40. I told her that if she needed a ride, I'm willing.

She curtly said, "No," and continued to walk away.

This Jesus Freak had offered her a way out of the rain. It's sad that when the answer to her problem was right in front of her, she refused to accept it.

Isn't this how many in the world today are? You can lead them to the answer to everything, and yet they want to remain immersed in their problems.

Jesus said it best like this:

Matthew 13:15
“For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.”


I can think of a million other things I'd rather do than walk in the rain when a covered ride is offered.

Won't YOU come in out of the rain?

No comments:

Post a Comment