Wednesday, June 8, 2016

In His Image


Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Every man on earth looks different; yet, we all have certain characteristics that make it possible for others to identify us as human beings. Black, white, yellow, red, brown, short, tall, skinny, fat...God created us all in HIS image. What does that mean?

BING has three translations of the word "image". The third meaning is the one that I think fits the description of the word "image" as used in Genesis 1:27. It is "the general impression that a person, organization, or product presents to the public". This is supported by the Hebrew word for image, tseh'-lem; from an unused root meaning to shade; a phantom, i.e. (figuratively) illusion, resemblance; hence, a representative figure, especially an idol:—image, vain shew.

This means that God has created you to be who HE wants you to be, a representation of Himself. When you are something other than who HE wants you to be, your life becomes miserable, confusing, contradictory, hopeless, despairing, and a myriad of other negative connotations. It is inevitable, because you are fighting who you are created to be.

When I was a child I had a pair of shoes that I loved dearly, but, I didn't wear them very often. Soon, I outgrew them. One day, when they were a size too small, I decided I wanted to wear them to school. My stepdad told me, "I don't think it is a good idea that you wear those shoes. You are going to be at school a long time, and your feet will hurt."

My stepdad was a day sleeper because he worked graveyard shift at a local tire factory.

I assured him that my feet would be fine. Just like God would do, he let me make my mistake.

About halfway through the day, I couldn't bear the pain anymore. I called my stepdad to bring me some shoes, which he graciously did, although what he wanted to do was say, "I told you so. You made the choice, now suffer."

God has told us all of the things in life that will make us miserable. He has told us what we should do, and what we shouldn't do. If we choose the wrong things, our lives are not easy. All we have to do is call on Him and tell Him, "I made a mistake. Will you fix it?" and He, in grace and mercy, will do it.

2 Corinthians 5
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.


If this has inspired you, please share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment