Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A Testimony...

I worked the graveyard shift at Waffle House when I was staying at the Randy Sams homeless shelter back in 2007. I had been there for nearly three months and was on the 4th day of my 7 day fast: I had given up cigarettes for a week. (As you may have noticed, I still have warts).

Yes, I prayed a lot that week.

That night, a Lutheran church came in to bring us the message of hope and salvation. They fed us dinner and sang for us. I sat listening in the back with my Bible opened.

I had so much on my shoulders, but I had goals. And, I had made a promise to Jesus that I would still stand on His promises in spite of my situation. I would not deny or forsake Him no matter how forsaken and alone I felt. I would keep looking toward the light, and open my heart to any opportunity to serve Him. This was a personal fast to put my signature on that promise.

A lady from the church walked toward me, looking at me earnestly. She held out her hands and said, "Young lady, I don't know who you are or what your situation is, but I have been given a word to give to you. I believe I have been given a word to give to you and I would like to share it."

I smiled and nodded not knowing what to expect. The next things she told me HAD to be a word from ABBA, my Father in Heaven.

She said, "He told me to tell you that you are not alone. He has been watching you. He has not kicked you out to the wolves to stay. He knows your heart. And, He is watching you. You are the lily of His eye, and He's fixing to bless you."

All I could do was smile through my tears and say, "I know."

Three days later, I went to pay my car payment. It was the only thing I had to my name. If I hadn't had the shelter to stay in, I would have been living in my car. I was trying to pay off my car because it was my way to work. It was my ministry to others who needed a ride when I wasn't. My car was important to me.

I payed my payment and noted to the car lot owner, "I only owe $100, WooHOO!" He smiled.

Then he reached in his filing cabinet before writing out my receipt. He signed the title, then wrote on the receipt, "Paid in Full"!

He said, "You've made your payments faithfully. You've even brought us business. I owe YOU."

I was happy. I went back to the shelter and, with a big smile on my face, I showed off that title. "God is SOOO GOOD! Look waht HE did for me today!"

Jo Jo was a girl I had helped to get a job at my place of employment. She had since used it as a stepping stone to find better employment and I was happy for her. She asked me, "What is your next goal now?" as we were eating our lunch.

I said, "I guess I can start saving for the deposit and first months rent at an apartment..." no sooner had the words come out of my mouth, the social worker who worked at Randy Sams came to me, hearing about my good news, and said, "Shonda, if you find an apartment, bring us the lease, and we will pay your deposit and first month's rent for you!"

My face hurt from smiling so much. I ran across the street and talked to the landlord at the apartment nearby and brought back the lease, which along with the title I was happily showing off.

At supper, Jo Jo laughed and said, "OKAY. NOW that you have your car paid off, and now that you have an apartment, what are you going to do?"

I got a sudden sense of dread. "Jo Jo, I'll be alright for a month, but I could barely pay my car payment on what I am making. How in the world can I afford the rent? I'll need a better job!"

God snapped his finger at that moment. No sooner had I said that, my cheap cell phone rang. I answered it. It was the local bus station calling me in for an interview.

I was SOOOO blessed that day. All of that happened on the 7th day of my fast. God had sent me a message 3 days before. All that was required of me was that I believe, and wait.

Praise God, He is still working miracles in my life every day. I owe Him all that I am.

Now, when life gets me down today, when I feel depressed and tired, burdened and heartbroken, I remember that day It always gives me courage, determination and hope.

There is a song my pastor sings about being blessed: "If I never receive another blessing my way, I can still say I that I am blessed."


Hebrews 6
11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,
14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.
15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment